Monday 28 January 2008

A profoundly important book

I have been reading "From Naked Ape to Superspecies" by David Suzuki and Holly Dressel. It is a major wake-up call to those of us who want the human species, not to mention the diversity of the life on this planet, to survive. It tells you of shocking, appalling things you won't hear in the media because, as we know, the media is controlled by a small number of hugely powerful and profit-hungry corporations. As are world trade agreements. As are patents on living things!!! The immorality and greed of these corporations is beyond belief. They are exploiting everyone, each and every one of us, but particularly the poorer Third World countries, who can't afford to fight them. And here we are, complacently living our lives, only vaguely aware that there is a climate and environmental crisis happening. Well it's happening now, and it's much bigger and scarier than we think, or are permitted to know about. According to the scientists, if we don't change our ways now, and fight these bastard corporations, we are absolutely on the path to our own destruction.

The more I read this book, the more galvanised I am to action. I haven't finished it yet, but already I'm asking - what can I do? How can I help? How can I make a difference? One thing's for sure - I will be investigating. And my first step to making a difference is telling you all about this book. Please, please read it. I'm buying my workplace a copy, my parents, my boyfriend and my brother. I think in this instance the greater environmental cause will forgive me purchasing multiple copies of the same book.

No comments: