Thursday 10 January 2008

Offsetting your carbon footprint

I just found a brilliant site which gives you the opportunity to offset the nasty carbon footprint your activities generate by funding different environmental causes.

The site let me calculate how many tonnes of CO2 my upcoming weekend trip to Greece would produce (0.686 tonnes), and how much money I would need to spend to offset it, which ranged between £5.15 and £11.75 depending on what cause I decide to fund. That's a pretty good feature in my book. And it doesn't add up to much, either!

I'm going to offset after every trip I take. It's obviously not as virtuous as not taking the trip in the first place, but at least this will help me assuage the guilt a little.

Note - the site lets you choose between British pounds, US dollars and Euros so all you Aussies are best to pay in USD.

2 comments:

Ben Turner said...

How about our xmas trip, sweetie ? Are we offsetting that ?!

Think it's about 40 quid of tree's each to cover that one.

Mimi said...

I'm thinking about it, ok?! I might just do it... will you? Huh, huh? :P