Thursday 7 February 2008

Giving ethical presents

While we don't always want to acknowledge it, we live in a hopelessly greedy and consumerist society. We buy and buy and waste so much, every day. Half the time we don't think about whether we really need that item, whether we couldn't perhaps re-use it or fashion it into something else, or find a more sustainable alternative to the new thing. No wonder we're depleting our planet's resources at a devastating rate!

A good friend of mine, Kate, started encouraging her friends to buy ethical gifts last year, particularly when it came to her own birthday presents. I think this is a great idea and I'm now ready to do it myself. (Yes, I'll confess, it took me a while - I've always been a girl who's loved her 'stuff', but even I can change.)

So, all I ask of you is this: When a friend's birthday is coming up, or an occasion like Christmas, consider getting them an ethical gift. It may not be as tangible or as fun to play with as a regular gift, but it will help slow mass consumption a tiny bit. And it will also help heal the planet a tiny bit.

Certainly when it comes to presents for me, I'll be more than happy to receive an ethical gift :)

Where to shop:
Oxfam Unwrapped (International)
Your Tomorrow (UK)
Ethical Gifts (UK)
Present Aid (UK)

Other ideas:
- make your own cards from bits and pieces at home - get creative!
- make your own presents!
- give someone a voucher for your time doing something nice, like cooking a meal or giving a massage

No comments: